The Old Guard of New York
The Old Guard of New YorkThe Old Guard of New York
Restoration Priorities Established for the Old Guard
The Old Guard, at 307 West 91st Street, is the headquarters for a military veterans association founded in 1832. It is a handsome, limestone-fronted townhouse designed in 1896 by notable Manhattan architect Clarence True, and is part of a row of seven matching, though not identical, houses. The front façade is topped by a mansard roof with two enormous dormers. The roof was originally covered in red tile but is now covered in asphalt shingles. The house is in generally good condition, but has suffered some deterioration due to deferred maintenance. The roof and parapets in particular are in poor condition and require attention. The condition of the roof has resulted in some leaks in both the front and rear rooms. The TSC has toured the building, inside and out, and has prepared an Existing Conditions Report that details the building’s physical problems as well as establishes priorities for restoration and repair.