The Lotos Club
The Lotos ClubLotos Club
The Lotos ClubLotos Club window
The private Lotos Club is housed in a Beaux-Arts mansion located at 5 East 66th Street, which was originally built for Margaret Vanderbilt Shepard and designed by Richard Howland Hunt in 1898. It is a five-story residence with steep Mansard roof, rusticated limestone base, and ornate ironwork. The building, which has been home to the club since 1946, is in generally excellent condition with the exception of the windows, which have deteriorated past the point of further repair and that the club wishes to replace with new matching sash. The windows are monumental and are of an unusual type. They appear to be French casements but in reality are single-hung sash that lift up into overhead wall pockets. The Conservancy’s Technical Services Center consulted with the club and the window manufacturer and obtained Landmarks Commission permits for the replacement of the windows with new matching sash.