Consulting Services

Technical Resources

Where can I find advice about repairs to my historic building?

The Landmarks Conservancy has created publications to assist owners of historic buildings, covering such topics as how to maintain and repair a historic brownstone building; the safest and most effective method for removing graffiti; preserving and maintaining a historic building façade; and how to evaluate, maintain, and rehabilitate historic windows.

We recommend the National Park Service’s Technical Preservation Briefs, which are especially useful for questions regarding traditional historic materials. The National Park Service also produces Preservation Tech Notes, organized into categories such as exterior woodwork, masonry, mechanical systems, metals, and historic glass.

Where can I find a contractor? Architect? Replacement windows?

The Conservancy publishes our Restoration Directory. This directory of New York firms specializing in historic preservation is searchable by expertise and region. A three-year subscription is only $25.

Technical Services staff also provide referrals to qualified consultants, contractors, and suppliers. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) your request, for a list of recommendations.

What funds are available for work on a historic building?

The New York Landmarks Conservancy offers grants and low-interest loans to qualifying owners of historic buildings.

The federal government offers a Rehabilitation Tax Credit, deducted from your federal income tax, available to owners of commercial, industrial, or residential income-producing properties that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Eligible projects must follow the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Rehabilitation of Historic Structures and be approved by the National Park Service prior to completion. Contact the Field Services Bureau of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation for information on the Rehabiliation Tax Credit and other financial incentives for preservation.

How can I find out if my building is a New York City Landmark?

Contact the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. The Commission also features maps of all locally designated historic districts on its website.

If your property is a designated New York City landmark, you need to contract the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission PRIOR TO starting exterior repair or restoration work. Applications and information are available online.

How can I research my building’s history?

New York City offers a host of research resources for the property owner who wishes to start a repair or restoration project. The Municipal Archives’ Collections at 31 Chambers Street in Manhattan has historic maps, photographs, and prints, among other things, available to the public on weekdays. The New-York Historical Society and the New York Public Library are also excellent places to find photos and information relating to historic buildings in New York.

For more information or assistance with a specific project, contact Colleen Heemeyer (, Manager of Grants and Technical Services, or Alex Herrera (, Director of Technical Services.