Historic Properties Fund

Restoring the Exterior of Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church

Restoring the Exterior of Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church
Restoring the Exterior of Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church

2011

Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church
Stuyvesant Heights Historic District of Brooklyn

The Mount Lebanon Baptist Church complex was designed by Parfitt Brothers Architects and erected in 1894 for Embury Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1948, Embury sold it to the current Baptist congregation for $92,500; they had occupied other buildings in Brooklyn since 1905 and were looking for a permanent home. The complex is an excellent example of Romanesque Revival-style architecture and includes a bold, arched entry tower, arched windows, conical turrets, and a red terra cotta roof. Mount Lebanon is an anchor of a harmonious block that includes many buildings that use golden Roman brick on their facades.

At a cost of almost $1.2 million, Mount Lebanon Baptist Church restored its complicated roofs and other masonry with a Fund loan of $300,000, a $25,000 grant from the Conservancy’s Sacred Sites’ Robert Wilson Program, a $250,000 grant from the New York State Environmental Protection Fund, and $600,000 from the congregation itself. Li/Saltzman Architects was the architect, and Baschnagel Brothers, the contractor.