Historic Properties Fund

627 Prospect Place Restoration

627 Prospect Place Restoration
627 Prospect Place Restoration

2013

627 Prospect Place Restoration in a Proposed National Register Historic District in Bedford Hills, Brooklyn

Bedford Hills is a stretch of 10 blocks with about 750 buildings located between the designated historic districts of Prospect Heights to its west and Crown Heights to its east. This area contains an array of Italianate, Neo-Grec, Romanesque Revival, and Queen Ann style row houses constructed in the late 19th century. In 2009, the Fund engaged an intern to survey and research these blocks and to prepare a submission to the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) to consider the area’s eligibility for listing in the State and National Registers of Historic Places as a proposed historic district. SHPO determined the Bedford Hills Historic District as eligible for Register listing later in the year, and mailings of the Fund’s informational brochure went out to property owners shortly thereafter. A small section of Bedford Hills was designated as the Park Place Historic District by the City’s Landmarks Preservation Commission in 2012.

It was not until 2012 that the Fund closed its first loan there on an owner-occupied two-family row house at 627 Prospect Place. Purchased in 2002 for $370,000, the property is one of six, three-story plus basement Romanesque-Revival style structures built c. 1890. A Fund loan of $100,000 and additional owner equity of $20,000 financed the rebuilding of the main and extension roofs and drainage systems, replacement of the slate on the mansard, and restoration of the wood window surrounds and cornice. Caroline Schweyer of gormanschweyer architects llp was the project architect. The contractors were R & R Restorations, Inc. for the roof work and Artistic Wood Crafts, Inc. for the restoration of the wood elements.