Sacred Sites Program

Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites

Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Sylvan Beach Union Chapel, Oneida County
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Sylvan Beach Union Chapel, Oneida County
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Temple Society of Concord
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Judson Memorial Church, Manhattan
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
First Presbyterian Church of Hudson
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
Conservancy Awards over $300,000 in 22 Grants for Sacred Sites
First Presbyterian Church of Hudson

April, 2014

On April 25th the Sacred Sites Committee met and awarded over $300,000 in 22 grants to religious institutions throughout New York State, from Buffalo to Middle Island, in Suffolk County. These grants included over $86,000 in 15 Sacred Sites Grants, and seven Robert W. Wilson Sacred Sites Challenge Grants totaling $250,000.

Grantees included an 1887 Stick-style seasonal chapel in Oneida County, which received a $5,000 grant for structural repairs of beams and replacement of decorative wood trim, and the Temple Society of Concord, in Syracuse, a 1910-1911 synagogue by architects Alfred Taylor and Arnold W. Brunner, which received a $2,000 grant pledge towards replacement of metal roof flashing.

The seven Wilson Challenge Grant pledges were awarded to four New York City congregations, one church in Columbia County and two congregations in Central New York. These grantees include the First Presbyterian Church of Hudson, an 1837 church by architects Brush and Waterman, altered by architect John A. Woods in 1876, which received a $50,000 grant pledge towards restoration of a monumental stained-glass window on the front facade, and Judson Memorial Church in Manhattan’s Washington Square, constructed in 1892 to designs by architects McKim, Mead & White, which received a $30,000 pledge towards masonry façade, wood window and door restoration.