Conservancy Awards 23 Sacred Sites Grants
Conservancy Awards 23 Sacred Sites GrantsFirst Presbyterian Church, Buffalo NY
Conservancy Awards 23 Sacred Sites GrantsTemple Beth Emeth, Brooklyn NY
Conservancy Awards 23 Sacred Sites GrantsSt George, Flushing NY
April 30, 2012
The Sacred Sites Committee recently met and pledged 23 grants totaling $292,000 to religious properties throughout New York State. These grants include three Jewish Heritage Fund grants totaling $95,000, four Robert W. Wilson Sacred Sites Challenge Grants totaling $150,000, and 16 Sacred Sites grants, totaling $49,500.
This the first time since the Jewish Heritage Fund grants were inaugurated in 2010 that more than one grant has been awarded in a single grant round. The three grantees are the 1847 Community Synagogue in the East Village, originally a German Lutheran Church, whose congregation suffered the devastating 1904 General Slocum disaster, and which was eventually reborn in 1940 as the Community Synagogue. Community Synagogue was pledged a Jewish Heritage Fund grant of $25,000 towards $350,000 of planned façade restoration and roof replacement. Stanton Street Synagogue, constructed in 1913 by combining two earlier tenements, was awarded a $30,000 grant towards $186,000 of exterior envelope restoration to address structural cracks and moisture migrating through brick walls. Temple Beth Emeth v’Ohr Progressive Shaari Zedek in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park South Historic District will receive a $40,000 grant towards a $333,000 roof replacement and parapet restoration.
The four Robert W. Wilson-Sacred Sites Challenge Grants include a $70,000 challenge grant for the Church of St. Jean Baptiste on the Upper East Side, to help fund the estimated $1.3 million replacement of 24 limestone columns at bell tower cupolas.
The sixteen Sacred Sites grants, awarded to religious institutions around the state, from Brooklyn to Buffalo, include a $6,500 grant to Bridge Street African Wesleyan Methodist Episcopal Church, founded in downtown Brooklyn in 1818, and located in Bedford Stuyvesant since 1938, in a church constructed in 1890 and enlarged in 1907, towards $60,000 phase I roof repair. Plymouth Congregational Church in Syracuse was awarded a $6,500 grant towards $100,000 restoration of opalescent stained glass windows.
Click below to watch a video about the Stanton Street Synagogue