Sacred Sites Program

Conservancy awards 17 Matching Grants totaling $279,500

Conservancy awards 17 Matching Grants totaling $279,500
Conservancy awards 17 Matching Grants totaling $279,500

The Conservancy’s Sacred Sites Committee has awarded 17 matching grants totaling $279,500 to religious properties throughout New York State, including four Challenge Grants of between $25,000 and $50,000, two Jewish Heritage Fund Grants totaling $90,000 and 11 Sacred Sites Grants of up to $10,000.

Photos of Challenge Grants and Jewish Heritage Grants

Challenge Grants awarded in New York City and Long Island included a $25,000 pledge to St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Chelsea towards masonry restoration at this 1838 Gothic Revival church and $25,000 pledged to Trinity Episcopal Church in Roslyn for floor joist restoration at this 1909 church designed by renowned architect Stanford White. Upstate in the Hudson Valley, First Presbyterian Church in Hudson was pledged $25,000 towards structural repairs of the roof at this mid-19th Century church constructed of locally quarried limestone. In the capital region, Bottskill Baptist Church, an 1868 Italianate style red-brick building located in Greenwich, was pledged $40,000 towards roof-truss stabilization and repairs.

The committee pledged two Jewish Heritage Grants to historic synagogues in Brooklyn. Congregation Kol Israel, a 1927 “tenement style” synagogue located in Crown Heights received a $50,000 pledge towards a masonry restoration project. The Park Slope Jewish Center was pledged a $40,000 grant towards exterior restoration. This 1925 synagogue by architect Allen Blaustein is located in the expanded Park Slope Historic District.

Photos of Sacred Sites Grants

The committee awarded 11 Sacred Sites Grants of up to $10,000. Grants in New York City include a $3,000 pledge to Yeshe Nyingpo, a Buddhist temple located in an 1846 Greek-Revival mansion that is individually listed as a New York City Landmark. Upstate, in Sullivan County, Monticello’s St. John’s Episcopal Church was pledged $6,000 toward the development of a master plan at this 1880 stone church by architect Henry Dudley. In Greene County, the First Reformed Church of Athens, an 1825 building that was later altered in the mid-19th Century with Gothic-Revival details, was pledged $10,000 towards repairs to the steeple and dormers. In the capital area, the Joy of Troy Seventh-Day Adventist Church and the Victorious Life Christian Church, were pledged $10,000 grants. The Joy of Troy Seventh-Day Adventist Church will restore the cupola belfry at this 1849 Greek Revival church. Victorious Life Christian Church, an 1863 Italianate Style building by noted Troy-area architect Marcus Cummings, will undertake exterior repairs, including brownstone restoration. The First Baptist Church of DeWitt Park in Ithaca received a $5,000 pledge for stained-glass work, and in nearby Spencer, Christ the King Fellowship Presbyterian Church, a red-brick, neo-Gothic building constructed in 1915, also received a $10,000 pledge toward stained-glass restoration. In the Mohawk River Valley, St. John’s Episcopal Church in Johnstown, whose design recalls Trinity Church in New Haven by architect Ithiel Town, received $7,500 toward a historic structure report at this 1837 stone church. In the Fingerlakes, St. James Episcopal Church of Skaneateles was pledged $5,000 toward stained-glass restoration. The church, located on the banks of Skaneateles Lake, was completed in 1873 to the designs of architect Horatio Nelson White. In Western New York, the Jefferson Avenue Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Rochester received a $7,000 pledge for stained-glass restoration. The church was designed by architect Isaac Loomis and completed in 1869. It is individually designated as a local landmark. In Buffalo, Our Savior Lutheran Church, constructed in 1923 and designed by architects Bley & Lyman, was pledged $1,000 for architectural work related to roof and masonry restoration.