Sacred Sites Program

Conservancy Awards $178,500 to 16 Religious Sites

Conservancy Awards $178,500 to 16 Religious Sites
Conservancy Awards $178,500 to 16 Religious Sites
-St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Jamestown, NY

The Conservancy’s Sacred Sites Committee has awarded grants totaling $178,500 to 16 religious properties throughout New York State, including 3 Challenge Grants of between $25,000 and $45,000 and 14 Sacred Sites grants of up to $10,000.

Challenge Grants included $45,000 to St. Luke’s Episcopal Church of Jamestown, in Chautauqua County, an 1894 Medina-sandstone building designed by Boston-based architect W.P. Wentworth. Westminster Presbyterian Church, in Albany, an 1861 red-brick Gothic Revival church by architect William Hodges, received a $30,000 pledge towards tower restoration. In Rochester, Christ Church, designed by Robert Gibson and constructed between 1883 and 1890, received a $25,000 pledge to assist in restoring a window-wall construction.

Sacred Sites grants of up to $10,000 were awarded to 13 congregations throughout New York State, including $10,000 to Bethel AME Zion Church in Huntington, the oldest African American congregation in Huntington and one of two AME churches on Long Island. The stained-glass windows in this 1924, vernacular-style wood-frame building have deteriorated, and this grant will help with their restoration.

Upstate, St. George’s Episcopal Church in Newburgh received $7,000 to assist with a conditions survey; and in Greene County, St. Peter’s Presbyterian Church in Spencertown and Windham Hensonville United Methodist Church in Windham were pledged $4,000 and $8,000 for roof replacement, respectively. Also in Greene County, Christ Episcopal Church in Greenville was pledged $4,500 towards masonry restoration. In Albany County the Presbyterian Church of Rensselaerville received a $4,000 grant for roof replacement, and north of Albany, in Rensselaer County, the First United Presbyterian Church, received $4,000 toward a feasibility study and the Oakwood Presbyterian Church received $5,000 towards stained glass restoration. Both churches are in Troy. In the Adirondacks, Church of the Lakes, located in Inlet, received $6,000 for stained-glass restoration. Assumption Church, located on Syracuse’s North Side, was pledged $8,000 to assist with protective-glazing installation. The First United Congregational Church of Christ in Fairport, just outside of Rochester, received $5,000 towards roof replacement. In Buffalo, University Presbyterian Church was pledged $7,000 for tower restoration plus an additional $2,000 toward architectural fees for the project. St. John’s Grace Church, also in Buffalo, received $4,000 toward an adaptive-reuse master plan.

This was the first of two grant rounds that the Sacred Sites program offers annually, with applications deadlines of January 15 and June 1. We will review our second round of grants in the summer, with pledges issued in late September or early October of this year.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).