177 Montague Street
177 Montague Street177 Montague Street
In early December the Conservancy accepted the donation of a preservation easement on the former Brooklyn Trust Company Building, 177 Montague Street. The building, now a Chase branch, is one of New York’s most magnificent banks. It is located just outside the boundaries of the Brooklyn Heights Historic District. Its architects York and Sawyer designed some of the city’s grandest bank buildings. The exterior is modeled on the seventeenth century Palazzo della Gran Guardia in Verona. The building features three ornate limestone facades and is perfectly intact even down to the original massive bronze torcheres flanking the main entrance. It dates to 1915. The easement covers the building’s exterior but it is interesting to note that the banking hall was modeled on the tepidarium of the Baths of Caracalla (Third Century Roman). The concourse of the old Pennsylvania Station, which opened a year earlier, was modeled on the central hall of the Baths of Caracalla.
This donation brings the Conservancy’s total collection of easements up to forty-six.