Moses Awards

The Lucy G. Moses Preservation Awards

-Moses Awards - April 28, 2016 at The Riverside Church, 490 Riverside Drive, Manhattan

-2015 Preservation Leadership Award winner Barbaralee Diamonstein-Spielvogel

-2015 Preservation Organization Award winner West End Preservation Society

-36 Gramercy Park East

-369th Regiment Armory Building (2366 Fifth Avenue)

-Central Park Obelisk (Near 81st Street in Central Park)

-Coignet Stone Company Building (360 3rd Avenue, Brooklyn)

-Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum (2 East 91st Street)

-Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum (2 East 91st Street)

-Floyd Bennett Field Hangars 1 & 2 (50 Aviation Road, Brooklyn)

-High Bridge (Bronx Cross Streets: University Avenue and 170th Street Manhattan Cross Streets: Amsterdam Avenue & 173rd Street)

-High Bridge (Bronx Cross Streets: University Avenue and 170th Street Manhattan Cross Streets: Amsterdam Avenue & 173rd Street)

-Old Brooklyn Fire Headquarters (365 Jay Street, Brooklyn)

-Piros Residence

-St. Patrick’s Cathedral (625 Fifth Avenue)

-St. Patrick’s Cathedral (625 Fifth Avenue)

-St. Paul’s Chapel and Churchyard (209 Broadway)

-Staten Island Museum (1000A Richmond Terrace, Staten Island)

Click on the link below for Event Program (Adobe Reader)

-Lucy G. Moses Preservation Awards - 2015 Event Program

April 28, 2016
The Riverside Church

An Evening of Preservation Celebration at the 26th Moses Awards

More than 500 people gathered at the Riverside Church to applaud an impressive list of Moses Award winners from across the City. The Moses Awards are the Conservancy’s highest honors for outstanding preservation. We think of them as the “Oscars” of preservation. This year we honored Dr. Barbaralee Diamonstein-Spielvogel and the West End Preservation Society, as well as the owners and stewards of historic buildings across the City who completed extraordinary restoration and reuse projects in 2015.

Thank you, to the Henry and Lucy Moses Fund, Inc. for making the award event possible.

Preservation Leadership Award
Barbaralee Diamonstein-Spielvogel

Preservation Organization
West End Preservation Society

Project Awards
36 Gramercy Park East
369th Regiment Armory Building
Central Park Obelisk
Coignet Stone Company Building
Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
Floyd Bennett Field Hangars 1 & 2
High Bridge
Old Brooklyn Fire Headquarters
Piros Residence
St. Patrick’s Cathedral
St. Paul’s Chapel and Churchyard
Staten Island Museum

More Information on the Honorees

Barbaralee Diamonstein-Spielvogel received the Preservation Leadership Award for her many contributions to the field, capped by the widespread success of her most recent endeavor: founding and chairing the NYC Landmarks50 Alliance. This consortium of more than 185 preservation, cultural and arts organizations commemorated the Landmarks Law’s 50th Anniversary. Through this coalition, Diamonstein-Spielvogel created a powerful platform for public programs and celebrations that reminded New Yorkers of preservation’s greatest successes and most lasting achievements.

Diamonstein-Spielvogel’s career has been entwined with New York landmarks. She served as an LPC Commissioner for 15 years, chaired the Landmarks Preservation Foundation, where she created and underwrote the Historic District street sign program, and is the founder and Chair of the Historic Landmarks Preservation Center, whose Cultural Medallion program documents NYC’s history. She is the author of The Landmarks of New York: An Illustrated Record of the City’s Historic Buildings, now in its fifth edition.

Few grass-roots groups have been as successful as the West End Preservation Society, recipient of the award for outstanding preservation organization. Founded just eight years ago to combat the threat of demolitions along West End Avenue, in 2015 WEPS celebrated the third major historic district extension centered on the thoroughfare. Due to the planning, preparation, and dogged advocacy of board and staff, some 750 buildings in the Upper West Side are now under the protection and guidance of the LPC.

36 Gramercy Park East, a Gothic Revival apartment building dating to 1910, is known for its ornate glazed white terra cotta ornament, featuring winged grotesques, oriels, sculpted faces, corner rope moldings, and more than 120 putti flanking shields. After the façade’s underlying steel structure was reinforced and waterproofed, the terra cotta was cleaned, repaired, and restored. Where replacement was necessary, glazes were matched to the original units, so the entire façade would shine in a uniform fashion.

Standing guard over the Harlem River, the twin terra cotta eagles atop the 369th Regiment Armory Building emblemize its Art Deco heritage and pay tribute to its African-American history. After nearly 80 years, their perches were crumbling along with many significant features at the home of the “Harlem Hellfighters,” a racially-segregated and highly-decorated squad that served in World War I. Work on the 1933 armory building required 2,000 pieces of terra cotta in approximately 200 different molds. Once new eagles were installed, the originals found new a home on display inside the armory.

The Central Park Obelisk has been comprehensively conserved and cleaned for the first time in its long history. The 70-foot tall Obelisk was created around 1425 BCE and arrived in New York to great acclaim in 1880, but the city’s gritty environment and some ill-advised repairs took a toll, leaving the treasure dull and uncelebrated. A team of experts scanned and surveyed the Obelisk and oversaw an innovative laser cleaning. The results are dramatic: the Obelisk’s color and texture have been revealed and its hieroglyphs are legible again.

For decades, the small, vacant Coignet Stone Company Building stood at the edge of an empty Gowanus field, inspiring curiosity and piquing the interest of advocates, who feared its demolition. The 1872 building, which advertised its company’s pioneering concrete products, had been abandoned and was in a perilous state of decay, when a development deal for the adjacent property saved it. Prompted by the Landmarks Commission, the operator undertook a project that saved this historic edifice.

The Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum has been transformed into a modern facility worthy of the design artifacts it houses. The challenge was rethinking how a Gilded Age mansion should function as a 21st-century facility. This goal was realized by re-establishing public spaces for exhibition use, moving collections off-site, and aggregating non-public functions to adjacent row houses, in a choreographed series of construction projects. The Cooper Hewitt has been reimagined and reinvigorated, allowing the building to function more strongly, and the collection to shine ever-brighter.

Hangars 1 & 2 at Floyd Bennett Field had been vacant and in poor condition for years, until an innovative partnership repurposed the space and reclaimed the historic architecture. The National Park Service leased the hangars to house energy services equipment, provided they were rehabilitated following preservation guidelines. A Historic Structures Report informed restoration of iron-spot brick, steel sash industrial windows, and the aluminum hangar doors, while the interior was adapted for its new use. Now the public is able to experience and enjoy these buildings that recall aviation history.

For the first time in over 50 years, the High Bridge, a monumental span connecting the Bronx to Manhattan is open to pedestrians and bicyclists. Inspired by ancient Roman aqueducts, the 19th century High Bridge was part of the system which carried water from Westchester County to the City. The NYC Parks Department, which took jurisdiction after water service ended, fulfilled a long-held promise by restoring original elements and adding safety and accessibility features, to honor history, invite recreation, and create community.

The owners of the Piros Residence, a row house in the Crown Heights North Historic District showed a remarkable commitment to their building as it revealed some major surprises. They intended to restore the inappropriately altered 1874 Italianate/Neo-Grec façade to its original brownstone. Architects discovered that it was actually wood siding finished with a sand paint to simulate brownstone, and that the original stoop wasn’t stone, but also wood. The owners embraced these findings and persevered to create a stunning façade that is an inspiration to their block.

Restoration of the Old Brooklyn Fire Headquarters demonstrates how affordable housing and preservation can work together. The Brooklyn Fire Department’s former headquarters is an 1892 Romanesque Revival landmark converted to apartments in the 1980’s. Pratt Area Community Council intervened on behalf of tenants who lived under deplorable conditions for 20 years. From the splendid new red tile roof to the antique elevator cab serving as an artifact, this complicated project brought the building back to its original splendor, allowed tenants to remain in place during construction, and financed 18 permanently affordable residential units.

Glorious St. Patrick’s Cathedral has been integral to New York’s heritage and religious life since its dedication. In 2006, interior cracks and exterior falling stone chips led to the first major overhaul in over 70 years. This immense project has touched every part of the Gothic Revival building. Removing decades of pollution revealed fine detailing; the exterior marble was repaired and the creamy interior plaster brought back to architect James Renwick Jr.’s intent. Restoration of stained glass windows, woodwork, monumental brass doors, and the organ, and upgrades to safety systems were all completed in time for a visit from Pope Francis.

In 2001, St. Paul’s Chapel and Churchyard served as a refuge for 9/11 responders working at the former World Trade Center site. Since then, thousands have visited every day, drawn by the history and architectural merit of this hallowed place. Responding to long-term building needs and this recent increase in activity, two projects were undertaken. Exterior work reversed past inappropriate repairs, restored masonry, windows, and re-set the clock in a shining steeple. Landscaping treatments have improved the trodden churchyard, with new soil and plantings, upgraded irrigation systems, and visitor-friendly pathways that respect the historic grave markers.

The Staten Island Museum has moved into Sailor’s Snug Harbor Building A, realizing its goals of expanding exhibition and program space, honoring the borough’s history, and respecting the built and natural environments. Years of neglect and failed renovations had left the Greek Revival landmark’s interior severely compromised, requiring vast removals and installation of a new structure that controls temperature and humidity levels. Original wood framing was salvaged for flooring, while upgraded historical windows remain visible. Restored exterior walls, roof, landscaping, and a new geo-thermal energy system complete the project.

The New York Landmarks Conservancy has been a leader in preserving, restoring, and reusing New York City’s architectural legacy for over 40 years. The Moses Awards are the Conservancy’s highest honors for outstanding preservation work. Named in honor of dedicated New Yorker Lucy G. Moses, the annual Awards have recognized hundreds of leaders, organizations, architects, crafts people, and building owners for their extraordinary contributions in preserving our City.

Preservation Awards are given to projects that demonstrate excellence in the restoration, preservation, or adaptive use of historic buildings, streetscapes, and landscapes that preserve commercial, residential, institutional, religious, and public buildings. Other possible categories include community groups or organizations that foster neighborhood revitalization.

The Preservation Leadership Award is bestowed upon an outstanding individual in the field of historic preservation. Past honorees include Ruth Abram, Wint Aldrich, Tony Avella, Kent Barwick, John Belle, Simon Breines, Giorgio Cavaglieri, Kenneth Cobb, Stanley Cogan, Joan K. Davidson, Franny Eberhart, Lola Finkelstein, Kenneth K. Fisher, James Marston Fitch, Margot Gayle, Christopher Gray, Anne Van Ingen, Judith Kaye, Sarah Bradford Landau, Helen M. Marshall, Joan Maynard, Evelyn and Everett Ortner, Nancy and Otis Pratt Pearsall, Adolf K. Placzek, Charles Platt, Jan Hird Pokorny, Henry Hope Reed, Elizabeth Barlow Rogers, Vincent Scully, and Robert Silman.

If you have any questions please email Andrea Goldwyn at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).