Lectures and Other Events

Tour of NY Harbor on John J. Harvey fireboat

The New York Landmarks Conservancy was pleased to offer its members a special tour of the New York Harbor on the (retired) fireboat John J. Harvey. On the National Register, it was built in 1931 and named for the FDNY pilot who was killed aboard fireboat Thomas Willett while fighting a fire aboard the North German Lloyd Line’s SS Muenchen.

At 130 feet and 268 gross tons, she is among the most powerful fireboats ever in service, capable of pumping up to 18,000 gallons of water a minute. Harvey assisted during such notable fires as the Cunard Line pier fire in 1932, the burning of the Normandie in 1942, and the ammunition ship El Estero during World War II. She served the FDNY until her retirement in 1994. On September 11, 2001, John J. Harvey was reactivated as FDNY Marine 2. Alongside FDNY fireboats Firefighter (a National Historic Landmark) and John D. McKean, she pumped water for 80 hours, until water mains were restored.

John J. Harvey is an ongoing restoration project undertaken by Save Our Ships New York, a chartered not-for profit. That restoration has been assisted by grants from the New York Landmarks Conservancy, the New York State Environmental Protection Bond Act, a federal Save America’s Treasures Grant, and grants from the Hudson River Foundation, as well as some 400 private supporters.

Many thanks to the John J. Harvey crew for a wonderful tour.

(click here for photos from the tour)