Conservancy Efforts Help Transform Block Highlighted in Times
41 South Elliot Place
37 South Elliot Place
63 South Elliot Place
No longer a troubled block of endangered brownstones, South Elliot Place in the Fort Greene Historic District, Brooklyn has been the subject of Conservancy efforts for decades. The improved block was recently featured in The New York Times.
Two Conservancy Historic Properties Fund loans restored the clapboard façade and windows as well as fabricated and installed the porch at 41 South Elliot Place in the early ‘90s. The 1855 building retains its Greek Revival style dentilled cornice and wide Italianate double doors.
A $60,000 Fund loan restored the brownstone façade at 63 South Elliot Place in 1995. The building is a transitional Italianate / neo-Grec house designed in 1875 by Edward van Voorhis.
37 South Elliot Place joined 41 and 63 as reborn buildings in 1998 when multiple layers of synthetic brick and asphalt shingling were stripped away from the three-and-a-half story, single family home to restore the building’s original 1873 façade. The house is only 12.5 feet wide.
New York Times Streetscapes Columnist, Christopher Gray’s coverage more than a decade ago of the Conservancy’s role ago in preserving the endangered façade of 59 South Elliot Place eventually aided in the building’s restoration. Click here to read the full story.
The New York City Historic Properties Fund is the Conservancy’s main financing vehicle for restoration work throughout New York City. With more than $8 million in assets, it is one of the largest dedicated revolving loan funds for historic preservation in the nation. Since its inception in 1982, the Fund has financed restoration work on more than 200 buildings in New York City’s five boroughs—showing that the Conservancy is making a difference building-by-building, block-by-block.