Bowery Mission, Curb Exchange and Four Federal-Era Row Houses Landmarked
The Bowery Mission
The Curb Exchange Building
32,34,36 Dominick Street
310 Spring Street
June 26, 2012
Conservancy staff spoke in support of designating two individual landmarks: the Bowery Mission (see statement) and the Curb Exchange Building in the Financial District (see statement), which the Landmarks Commission voted to designate at the end of June. The two structures attest to the broad range of historic buildings that tell the story of New York.
The Bowery Mission, at 227 Bowery, is an 1876 Neo-Grec style building that has served New York’s homeless and indigent population for over a century. The building’s façade was restored several years ago, with technical assistance from Conservancy staff. One of the most notable elements is the stained glass window, part of a chapel, which features text that faces out to the street, connecting with the community.
The Curb Exchange Building represents another side of New York’s history: its role as a financial capital. The Exchange dated from the mid-19th century, when brokers conducted business on street curbs, and it later moved into this handsome structure, which was built in two phases, in 1920-21 and 1930-31. Although both sides of this National Historic Landmark were designed by Starrett & Van Vleck, they are very different. The earlier Greenwich Street building is neo-Renaissance, while Trinity Place is in an excellent example of Art Deco.
On June 19, 2012 the Conservancy also testified at the City Council on the designation of 32, 34, 36 Dominick Street and 310 Spring Street. The Council did not take a vote. The Conservancy had testified in support at the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) in June 2011, and the LPC voted to designate earlier this year.