From our very first years, the Landmarks Conservancy has championed the cause of vacant, neglected, and threatened buildings. With the Conservancy’s help, the U.S. Customs House, a Beaux-Arts palace on Bowling Green, found new life as the home of the National Museum of the American Indian. In 1974, the Conservancy convinced the Department of Buildings to halt the demolition already in progress of 19th-century commercial buildings on the Fraunces Tavern block, and eventually purchased the five survivors and leased them to a private developer for conversion to residential and commercial use.
To safeguard the more than 21,000 buildings protected by the City’s Landmarks Law, the Conservancy works closely with property owners, community groups, the Landmarks Preservation Commission, and other public agencies.
We also advocate for buildings not yet landmarked, from sacred sites to private buildings across the boroughs.
Recent issues include:
Five Midtown East buildings were heard for designation as individual landmarks at a public hearing July 19 at the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
Sterling Place, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn - An overlay area with contextual zoning and historic district designation.
A rendering of Howard Hughes Corporation’s 494-foot-tall tower at the South Street Seaport (Credit: SHoP)
A TALE OF TWO SCHOOLS – ONE SET FOR DEMOLITION
-Rendering of One Vanderbilt and Grand Central Terminal, looking north from 42nd Street up Vanderbilt Avenue. Image courtesy Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates
January 24, 2012
Conservancy President Peg Breen, President of the Real Estate Board of New York Steven Spinola, Ronda Wist of the Municipal Arts Society and History Professor Kenneth Jackson
The rise of several new and proposed supertowers — skyscrapers reaching 1400 or 1500 feet up — clustered on 57th Street and sure to cast long shadows on Central Park has alarmed New Yorkers.
The new City Council Land Use Subcommittee met for the first time this past Tuesday and affirmed the designations of four new landmarks. Queens Councilmember Peter Koo now chairs the subcommittee.
The likely loss of the beloved Rizzoli bookstore on West 57th Street has provoked a public outcry over the loss of another piece of architectural and cultural history. Book lovers and architecture lovers alike are gathering signatures and petitioning the mayor’s office in a demonstration that preservation is important to New Yorkers.
The Landmarks Conservancy was very pleased to support the kickoff of “People for the Pavilion” at the Queens Theatre on January 25. An audience of 250+ learned about the past, present and possible future of the New York State Pavilion in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.
The Landmarks Preservation Commission held a public hearing where they formally considered the designation of the Bronx General Post Office’s lobby as an interior landmark.
The Landmarks Preservation Commission reluctantly agreed last week that a landmark Bronx school that was damaged, and ultimately abandoned, by the City can be demolished.
The Landmarks Conservancy has been working with the community, elected officials and the Girl Scouts to landmark and save Brooklyn’s Pacific Street Library.
The Conservancy testified at a Landmarks Commission hearing on November 12, a milestone in the history of a remarkable West Side building.
Please sign this petition to let the Senator know that you are one of “those people” fighting for the best interests of New York.
Here’s our ‘to do’ list for the LPC before the year ends.
A year after the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy a great deal of work has been done to repair the storm’s damage, but a great deal more remains to be done.
Citywide – Storm Relief Efforts
We welcome additional inquiries, let us know if you need assistance.
West End Extension I and Park Place, Brooklyn
Settlement ratifies Federal and State Court victories re Brooklyn Bridge Park
-City to follow all relevant laws
May 2, 2012 – Two City Council Committees held a joint hearing on 11 proposed Landmarks Bills.
Strong Interest for New Historic District
The Landmarks Conservancy promoted federal funding for preservation and emphasized the jobs, community revitalization, sustainability, and tourism that preservation promotes in March 8 visits to the New York Congressional delegation on national Preservation Advocacy Day.
The Conservancy’s Public Policy Committee attended a briefing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on February 8 to see plans for restoration of the Met’s Fifth Avenue Plaza.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy is happy that the Admirals Row property has finally been sold to the City and is now in the hands of the Navy Yard who we hope will act quickly to stabilize the two historic structures that are to remain on the site.
Although we would have preferred to see more of the houses saved, we believe that the plan espoused by the Navy Yard incorporating two of the historic buildings is a good one. We trust that the Navy Yard will honor its commitment to historic preservation and look forward to seeing how work on the site proceeds.
Brooklyn Borough Hall
January 17, 2012
The mission is to build a constituency for the Island, promote appropriate new development, and the preservation and reuse of the historic buildings.
State Court Declares Illegal Transfer Of Historic Structure a “Nullity,” Saying State And City Officials Violated Public Trust
Over the summer, Conservancy staff visited the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s Salvage Warehouse just before an auction of its contents (read story). Now items in the warehouse will be put on the auction block again in 30 smaller lots.
Imagine our surprise, when an early Sacred Sites exhibit was discovered among the boxes and artifacts stored at the Landmarks Commission warehouse.
The exhibit was launched in 1990 to promote the importance of saving historic religious properties. It premiered at the Urban Center and was later displayed on Long Island and in Westchester. Evidently, we stored it in the warehouse awaiting another exhibit venue. We’re still waiting! And now our “landlords” at the LPC want us out! If anyone wants three, free, 12-foot kiosks with religious imagery, let us know.
9/11 will always bring memories of the thousands of lives lost in the attack, but it also reminded us of how important buildings are to this City. The Twin Towers were not official landmarks, but they were a visible anchor as we moved about New York and welcomed us on our return from trips. They truly marked the land.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy formed a special emergency fund with partner groups immediately after 9/11 to help restore landmark buildings damaged that day. We became consulting parties to recovery and rebuilding efforts at Ground Zero. And we documented historic buildings Lower Manhattan, as the City looked to redevelop in the area around Ground Zero.
Scaffolding was erected at all four sides of the 1914 Tifereth Israel synagogue in Corona recently. This week, paint analysis was conducted by Richbrook Conservation to determine the building’s historic paint colors, and samples of original window trim and siding were removed by the window manufacturer, Parrett Windows, and the general contractor, Loduca Associates/Lipsky Enterprises, to facilitate accurate restoration and the preparation of shop drawings. Removal of the exterior stucco will begin later this week.
At the urging of the Conservancy, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) approved a new slate roof for the 1888 Chapel of the Good Shepherd. The new slate will restore the original appearance of the landmark’s massive roofs.
In a ruling with national implications, United States District Judge Eric N. Vitaliano handed The New York Landmarks Conservancy and other plaintiffs an historic victory when he ruled July 12 that the Tobacco Warehouse and the Empire Stores were illegally removed from federally protected parkland in Brooklyn Bridge Park. He ordered their return to public parkland.
The planned auction of the contents of the long-ago-shuttered Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) salvage warehouse caused some controversy among colleagues and the public. There were fears that important pieces of the City’s architectural history would be lost.
The circa 1939 tax photo shows a standing seam metal roof at the sanctuary – which means that within 40 years of construction, the original slate or tile roof was replaced with a metal one.
A Conservancy-funded phased restoration plan for West-Park Presbyterian Church is nearly complete. For the last several months, the Conservancy has worked closely with the church, initially overseeing urgent roof drainage repairs; then initiating and funding the creation of a phased exterior restoration plan, including Conservancy research to establish original roof materials.
This month the Conservancy arranged inspection of the church by a fire safety consulting engineer as well as solicited and provided a Conservancy Sacred Sites grant to fund engineering inspection and design to secure severely cracked plaster at the sanctuary ceiling – like the spring roof leaks – an immediate priority.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held at Congregation Tifereth Israel, 109-18 54th Avenue in Corona, at 11 am June 22. The landmark 1911 wooden building is a rare survivor of the earliest, vernacular synagogues built in Queens and is the oldest synagogue in the borough, celebrating its 100th anniversary this year.
The New York Times architecture critic suggests that visitors to the current Rem Koolhaas exhibit at the New Museum may conclude that preservation has become a “dangerous epidemic.” They might as easily conclude that it is hard to figure out what Mr. Koolhaas is saying at all.