Borough Presidents Honor "Landmarks Month"
The rededication of Tifereth Israel, Queens oldest synagogue, is a proud moment for our organization. The Conservancy has worked with the synagogue for over 10 years.
The Conservancy's first challenge took on determining the fate of the U.S. Custom House on Bowling Green.
The Conservancy assumed a proactive role in efforts to develop economically viable plans for the row of buildings.
The Conservancy secured local landmark designation and the listing of the 1886 fireboat station in the National Register of Historic Places.
The beginning of the Historic Properties Fund
9/11 will always bring memories of the thousands of lives lost in the attack, but it also reminded us of how important buildings are to this City.
Lower Manhattan is a national treasure - an unparalleled collection of American national and architectural history. In 2002, the nation's and the Conservancy's attention was focused on this historic area.
The ground-breaking Upper Manhattan Historic Preservation Fund (UMHPF) has awarded grants and loans totalling $4 million to 30 projects.
The goals of the Revitalization Initiative included physically securing the site, restoring its Chapel, removing the overgrown vegetation, conserving the markers, re-landscaping the grounds, and instituting interpretive history and educational programs.
In the early 1880s, William Astor built 28, semi-attached row houses on 130th Street between Fifth and Lenox Avenues in Harlem. Each double building shared a turned-wood porch in the Victorian style.
Ellis Island, one of the Conservancy's most significant advocacy campaigns, celebrated an important milestone on April 2, 2007.
In 1977 the New York Landmarks Conservancy released its Public Buildings Inventory. This inventory documented 760 federal, state, and city owned buildings of architectural interest in New York City.